nafex - Re: [NAFEX] changing scientific nomenclature

  • From: Robert Hartley <bob@sprucemt.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] changing scientific nomenclature
  • Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 23:00:17 -0400

Endothia parasitica, the chestnut blight fungus, is now Cryphonectria
parasitica. When first described it was thought to be a new genus and
therefore given a new name (Endothia). Later it was decided that it
belonged to a genus (Cryphonectria) that had been described earlier and
the generic name was thereby corrected. The same explanation accounts
for most such name changes but it sure can confuse us non-taxonomists.

Bob Hartley PA z6