nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Will my figs ripen?

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Will my figs ripen?
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 15:49:15 -0500

Helga and Bert Dunn wrote:

> Good morning
> Ripening at the present-
> Named Varieties--Desert King, white Adriatic, Chicago Hardy

what do you mean suitcase varieties? dwarf? I've never seen any of these,
where'd you get em
from?

> Suitcase varieties-Mississauga, Savice, New Jersey, Albion #2
> I leave them outside until all the leaves fall off (like deciduous trees),
> then into the rear of my garage
> In early March , in spite of very little light and about 50-55'F they start
> to send out green shoot/leaves. A few have berbas although they have to date
> not ripened.
> I built a trolley cart out of an old Bar B Que frame and bought two metal
> trolleys. If the day is nice I shove them outside, bring in at night 'til
> weather is decent.

I use my son's skateboards to roll them into the basement. what is the
largest size container
you use?

all the figs are ripening very slow this year, the almas are huge & green.
but I have a big row
of elmer swensen grapes waiting to be turned into wine & am trying to
discover some used for
cornelian cherry & aronia. the cornelian cherries laying on the ground taste
best, sort of
consistency of a ripe persimmon.

in the hazelnut front, I have a rutter hazelbert that is about 12 ft high &
wide after about 4
year full of nuts, clusters of 4-6 nuts not unusual.

mIEKAL