nafex - [NAFEX] Tree injury question

  • From: "Raby, Brian {D204~Indianapolis}" <BRIAN.RABY@ROCHE.COM>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tree injury question
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:19:09 -0400

All,

The other night we had a rain storm come through; not much rain and not
really what I consider a strong wind. When I woke up and looked in the
garden, I notice that one of my 2 yr. old cider tree on a Bud 9 rootstock had
blown over. Thinking it was uprooted, I immediately went out with a shovel
to place it back into the ground. What I found was that the rootstock had
snapped at the soil line with only two small feeder roots still attached. I
immediately restaked it and tied a plastic bag around the injured area to
support it and to keep it moist.

My question is, what could have caused this seemingly healthy tree to break
like this? Is it borers? I did not see any sign of them upon inspection.
Is the Bud 9 rootstock that weak wooded?

thanks,

Brian
Sheridan, IN
zone 5b