nafex - [NAFEX] Ownership

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ownership
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 13:08:36 -0400

Hi All:

The only things we ever completely own, without having to share, are our mistakes. So I invite you to enjoy the things I own.

It is difficult to perform precise horticultural practices like budding when assisted by a three year old. Three year olds who have been stung by yellow jackets. Recently. Like yesterday. There are many bugs in the nursery row and orchard. They all resemble bees. To a three year old. Three year olds are impervious to logic.

Later, I was spreading and tying down limbs to an angle closer to horizontal. Tying down limbs results in earlier fruiting because it reduces the flow of nutrients from the roots. I sometimes get *little* odds-and-ends of scion wood. Sometimes only one takes (OK, I admit it. I don't get 100% takes). Often there is a gross mismatch in size between the puny scion and mother tree. Spreading those limbs can result in extreme reduction in nutrient flow....like two separate pieces. When that happens, remember:

It is difficult to perform precise horticultural....

--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal web site: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel