nafex - [NAFEX] Alice clover garden update(2002)

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Alice clover garden update(2002)
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:05:08 -0500

Dave G and others have asked how the white clover garden system is working
this year. So far it looks great. This is the second year of production
with this system on this site, so it is hard to tell wether the Alice
clover is making a big difference. That said IMO Alice is a better clover
for this, Really germinated strongly and hung on under weeds until I mowed
or pulled them. I have been using a standard side discharge push mower to
clear out tall weeds, and only pulling those that are in close to my
vegetables. I have a propane weed torch that is a great tool. It kills
most small emergent weeds, and lets me burn back the clover to make rows or
hills. Two quick passes set fairly high top kills the clover and knocks
out the stolons so it takes a few weeks to spread back into the row. I let
many of the weeds develop flowers this spring in order to have a nectar
source for predatory insects. This seems to be working well. Most of the
usual pests have been knocked down quickly, plus between the feed available
from clover and other weeds many critters never seem to need to munch my
plants; the flea beatles worked over some wild brasicas and though I see
some slugs in the clover, they have not munched the lettuce at all. The
soil is definitely cooler than a bare soil would be, but I think I'm
picking up some advantages in better soil structure and worm
population. There may be some water stress on 10% or so of the tomatoes,
the rest look really good. I'm using a type of pot called a root trainer
this year. Very tall and narrow pots (1/2 inch X 4 inches or 2 cm X 12
cm). I'm really happy with them, planting is a snap. I just use a spading
fork (potato fork) to jack open the soil and then insert the plug. I
guess that's it for now. I'm having folks over this Sunday 2 PM - ? to
check the place out, grass beef burgers too of course. All are welcome,
call ahead for directions.

  • [NAFEX] Alice clover garden update(2002), Lucky Pittman, 07/01/2002