nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pickles

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pickles
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:26:48 -0500

Joe and other pickle fans,
This is a recipe I have used for years. It makes pickles that are very
similar to those Chill Dills or Claussen's Dill Pickles found in the
refrigerator case at stores.
Doreen Howard

No-Cook Dill Pickles

4 lbs. small cucumbers
8 cups distilled water
ΒΌ cup pickling salt or non-iodized table salt
2 tablespoons pickling spices
5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 bunch fresh dill
1 slice day-old rye bread

Wash cucumbers thoroughly and arrange them in a 1-gallon glass jar (sun tea
jars are perfect). Dissolve salt in water and pour over cukes. Add spices
and garlic. Lay dill and rye bread on top of cukes. Cover with plastic
wrap and place a heavy object (a clean rock or can of soup) on the wrap to
keep cukes submerged. Let stand 3 days at room temperature. Refrigerate 5
days. Remove pickles from jar, strain liquid. Store pickles in strained
liquid in refrigerator for up to 6 months. Makes 1 gallon.