nafex - Re: [NAFEX] caterpillars/solo sprayer

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] caterpillars/solo sprayer
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 11:32:45 +0000

Del, Did you get a backsprayer?

Yes, diaphram type

We have some tent caterpillars on the wild cherries (central Maryland) when they leaf out each year. Have seen some on my apple trees, but they never gain a foothold with me.

25 miles from here they have defoliated aspen forests, not that bad here yet. Here it is a cycle of something like 12 years between infestations.
A friend was relating one area some years back - where they brought out the sand trucks, and the snow plow had the blade down getting the sheet of moving hordes off the highway - just to make driving safe. We don't have that level of infestation. My principle concern actually this year is new grafts that could'nt recover.
I just tried an 'under recommended mix' of 1.5 Tblspoon to gallon of BT powder and there were still quite a few caterpillars left, so I'd say the reommendated mix is accurate. Del
Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

  • Re: [NAFEX] caterpillars/solo sprayer, del stubbs, 06/22/2002