nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Kiwi, One trunk or two?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Kiwi, One trunk or two?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:57:32 -0700

FWIW, grapes in cold climates are often trained to THREE trunks and in
unusually cold winters, 95% of vines so trained came through with at least
one live trunk, while vines with fewer trunks had a much lower rate of
surviving the winter. Which isn't to say they were lost altogether - they
grow back from below the snow line, but don't have crop that year, while a
vine with a surviving trunk will have at least some crop.
Seems reasonable the same technique would work with kiwi.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com