nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Another rootstock question

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Another rootstock question
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:38:13 -0400

Joe:

While I don't know where you've seen this information, I can tell you
that it is not so, or atleast is not visable to my eyes.
The only stock which I BELIEVE to influence branch angle is MM106. A
friend (John Creech of KY) told me of this character and I proceeded to make
up around 100 interstems using M9 on MM106 with Gala on top. Over the
years, this was the finest producing row of Gala we had here, both in
quantity and in quality of fruit, and ease of management of limbs.
Re: bradford or cally seedlings under pears, I've had many of them
here, mostly (but not all) on various asian varieties and can't tell the
difference in branch angle. However, cally does winter injure easily given
that it is so lowchill and wants to grow when we have midwinter warmups.

ed