nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon Borers???

  • From: lee sharp <sharplr@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon Borers???
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:02:25 -0700 (PDT)

Several years ago someone wrote an article for POMONA
and identified the type borer you described as:
Sannina Urocerifomis . I made a note of this since I
was finding some on native plants outside my orchard.
This was in the late 1980,s. In recent years I have
not found any, don't know why. Hope they stay gone
because they do make plants weak. Only had one in a
seedling and it broke off at the " bore hole" on a
windy day before grafting time. I have dug several to
see how for down the root system they tunnel and find
they go to the very end ( but not out) of the
particular root chosen for the tunnel.

I think you could kill them with ether. I have used it
on Pecan borers with good results. I used the type
ether sold in auto parts stores. If you can fit the
output of the container with a plastic extension that
can be inserted into the borer hole and after
releasing the ether into the hole seal it with
something or plug the hole.

Lee Sharp
Ocean Springs,Ms
Zone 8B