nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Dogwood Grafting??

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Dogwood Grafting??
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:09:40 -0500

At 06:21 PM 05/21/2002 +0000, Del wrote:
This is pretty interesting, wouldn't cutting off a peice or pieces of the bark with a knife do the same thing? If the toothpick wasn't used would the wound heal too soon?

I suppose that bark removal would work. The person who brought this technique to my attention was putting it forward primarily for gardeners who were novices in attempting to root cuttings. I suppose this method is perhaps easier, mechanically, for the neophyte than trying to lift bark, and insertion of the toothpick ensures that the plant will have to produce a significant amount of callus tissue in its attempt to close the defect.

Lucky