nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Starkspur Winesap - planting info needed

  • From: "Big Horse Creek Farm" <oldapple@bighorsecreekfarm.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Starkspur Winesap - planting info needed
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:35:48 -0400

Hi Lawrence,
Don Yellman's recent replies to your questions are well-stated and I
heartily agree with his opinions. I, too, would recommend you look for
suitable pollinators for the Winesaps as they are indeed very poor
pollinators and will not be successful in providing you with normal yields
in the years to come.

Cedar apple rust will certainly be a serious problem for you if you have
cedar trees close to the planting site. When we are contacted by people from
the central Piedmont regarding suitable apple varieties for the region, our
first question is always, "Do you have cedar trees nearby"? This is a very
pesky problem in the Piedmont of North Carolina, and as Don says, it usually
requires some pretty nasty chemicals to keep it in control. Removal of all
cedar trees within 1/4 mile is sometimes the best option.

Good luck with your efforts and feel free to contact us here at Big
Horse Creek Farm should you have any questions.

Regards,

Ron

Ron and Suzanne Joyner
Big Horse Creek Farm