nafex - Re: [nafex] what determines cold hardiness?

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] what determines cold hardiness?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:37:44 -0500

Hi all:

Bernie did a great job discussing the genetics of "hardiness" There are
also plant culture issues.
Roughly in order of importance:
1. Control growth rate (i.e. withhold nitrogen) so shoots have formed a
terminal bud well in advance of autumn.
2. Protect from freeze-thaw-freeze.
3. Work to develop healthy canopy of leaves all growing season. The
antifreeze in the cells is a carbohydrate and leaves that are ravaged by
insects, disease or deer cannot pack the cells with antifreeze.
4. Protect plants from rodent and bunny damage.
5. Some people swear by potassium and micro nutrients. I have plenty of
K (potassium) and no strong, personal opinions about micro nutrients.
Seaweed and fish extracts are often listed as good sources of micro
nutrients.

Any other thoughts, Bernie?

--
-Joe Hecksel