nafex - [nafex] Re: raspberry sources?

  • From: "crmauch" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: raspberry sources?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:12:37 -0000

I'll put my 2 cents in for one Spring bearing red raspberry - Canby
Thornless. Very good flavor, soft, and effectively no thorns (near
the base of each cane it does get "razor-stubble" like thorns, but
they've never bothered me in handling the canes.

I do have to admit to having a fondness for black raspberries over
reds, but Canby threatens that fondness every year.

I planted "Goldie" over a year ago, though I don't have much
experience w/ it, I like it too.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., <redherring@t...> wrote:
> I have finally decided to break down and buy some red raspberries
(a real
> concession, because as a proper NAFEXer should, I have gotten most
of my
> stock free or swapped for it. Now and then I actually spend money
though).
> I have found websites for Pense, Indiana Berry, Winfrey, and I've
read there
> is a Nourse company. I have been very pleased at the prices,
somehow I
> always seemed to have seen raspberry plants in general nursery
catalogs at
> horrific prices like $16 for 3. Can you all tell me if you have
had good or
> bad experiences with these companies, or is there a better source?
In
> general, I prefer to buy nursery stock from this side of the
Rockies.
> I've taken notes from the many comments on varieties and
flavor, but
> more would also be welcome. I'd not been interested in raspberries
because
> the only gardener I knew who grew them must have been
growing "Dorman",
> listed as only "fair" flavor. (We don't generally have access to
farmers
> markets here, this place is exactly backward enough to have neither
old
> fashioned farmers markets, nor trendy new ones. They've finally
built a
> place for the trendy new type for next summer. Maybe I;ll have a
bumper
> crop and be forced to set up there.) I've tasted some at Hectors
since that
> were excellent. Thanks all. Donna Tenn, zone 6 in the
1980's, zone 7
> in the 1990's

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM