nafex - [nafex] pruning apples

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: "nafex@yahoogroups.com" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] pruning apples
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:58:49 -0500

I have been waiting to prune my little Jonathan apple tree until after
the winter deer pressure passes (our deer are hungriest around now) but
letters I'm reading over on Apple-crop makes me wonder if it would be
better for the tree to prune now.

Also, is Jonathan a tip-bearer? It looks like the tree might have fruit
buds on it, and it would make my husband very happy if we got an apple
from it, so I am loath to prune off everything that might fruit. On the
other hand, I don't want to hurt the tree (much) by underpruning,
either.

Any advice for an impatient, greedy tender of one baby tree (Jonathan on
M111, this will be it's third season in our yard) that is being grown
for fun, not profit?

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass., zone 6