nafex - Re: [nafex] Pruning Persimmon and Pawpaw??

  • From: boyd manges <bmanges@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pruning Persimmon and Pawpaw??
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:26:27 -0800 (PST)

Reich in "uncommon fruits..." says persimmons should
be pruned to an open center or leader system because
the wood is brittle and breaks easily. He also
recommends bearing age trees be pruned to shorten
branches (my trees also seem to be somewhat branchy
and thin). PawPaws can also be pruned, but my 8 year
old trees look great unpruned (except for crossed
branches) the branches are stout and don't even bend
with a big cluster of fruit. They have a natural
pyramidal shape I'ld hate to mess with. I did prune
some seedlings to fit in a grow tunnel, though.

boyd manges n. Michigan Z5
--- nottke <nottke@ols.net> wrote:
> Can any one point me to a reference, or tell me,
> about whether or how to
> prune American persimmons and pawpaws?
> I have several seedlings of each and I am interested
> in optimizing fruit
> production from them.
> In the case of each type of tree, the tallest are
> about 12 feet and the
> shortest are about 2 feet.
> Thanks.
>
> James E. Nottke