nafex - [nafex] Re:manure sublimation

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re:manure sublimation
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:26:11 -0000

I have found horse manure to be a fantastic ammendment especially
where soil is poor, I do cover it with a thin layer of sawdust though
when used to get a newly planted tree going. I have poor sandy soil in
northern WI and it makes a huge difference.
It is my opinion (and I believe Lucky agrees) that you don't have to
be too concerned about burning the plants or causeing any damege even
when mixed into the top two inches of the soil around benchgrafts, as
long as there are roots 3, 4 and 5 inches down that aren't exposed to
the fresh manure.
In the nursery I mix it in with the dirt in the bed and the results
are fast green healthy growth. Of course we all know that nitrogen can
delay hardening off so unless the trees are solidly hardy in your area
its probly best applied in the fall.
I do believe that at least horse manure is high in N. I conclude this
from year of observing the healthy green growth and large leaves that
are inevitable the result. But I haave tried manure that was a mix of
sheep/goat/llama that didn't seem to do much. I think it might have
been mixed with too much sawdust or something though.
When horse manure is mixed with the sawdust, forget it, for some time
at least.
Kevin B

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!