nafex - [RibesNAFEX] Solution: Crandall is it R. aureum or R. odoratum

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: RibesNAFEX@topica.com
  • Subject: [RibesNAFEX] Solution: Crandall is it R. aureum or R. odoratum
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:50:36 -0500

Hello All,

Been trying to work out my Crandall issue:  Is it "R. aureum" or "R. odoratum".  So I turned to the NCGR-Corvallis Ribes Catalog as being a reliable source.

I found that the searches did not work very smoothly, and I found things in the listings that did not come up doing searches.

However, I think I found the answer... "Ribes odoratum H. L. Wendl. (subg. Ribes sect. Symphocalyx)   Synonym of: Ribes aureum var. villosum DC."

So "R. Odoratum" and "R. aureim var villosum DC" are synonyms.  Mystery solved.

Does anyone know how to properly search these ribe databases to indentify good selections in the R. odoratum family?  In the GRIN system of highly rated ribes, Crandall is the only selection from the R. odoratum family (only one?).   http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/cool/top.ribes.html

Thanks,

Tom
--
Thomas Olenio