nafex - Re: [nafex] Crandall - Buffalo Currant

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Crandall - Buffalo Currant
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 18:06:05 -0800

Buffalo Currant is Ribes odoratum, the same species as Crandall. Other
selections were made, but Crandall was the one that seems to have stayed in
commerce. I once knew a fellow in S. Dakota who had selected forms of the
species with golden fruit that he said had flavors of pineapple and other
fruits. He passed on and his material was lost, though I got one golden
fruited bush. However, it's a flop compared to Crandall. It gets what
looks like pseudomonas in the blossoms and never sets, while Crandall sets
perfectly. So there is more material of the species to be explored, if
someone wants to look for it.
I once visited Ft. Collins, CO and saw Ribes odoratum growing wild, to
the point of being a weed in some yards, and the fruit was as good as
Crandall. So there are more good ones out there. I'd look for good ones in
areas where summer rainfall and humidity is regular so the plants would have
more disease resistance. Ones from SD probably come from areas where summer
is too dry, so they haven't had to evolve disease resistance.
-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [nafex] Crandall - Buffalo Currant
>Date: Sun, Nov 18, 2001, 12:43 PM
>

>Hello,
>
>I have read that the Crandall is more closely related to the buffalo
>currant than any other. Are there other varieties in this family that
>exceed the Crandall?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Regards,
>Tom
>
>--

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
>NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

StartMeUp jump starts your car's battery
using only the cigarette lighter.
$24.95 at Youcansave.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/20gskB/LTTDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM