nafex - Re: [nafex] Z2/3 experimental orchard list

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Z2/3 experimental orchard list
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 18:56:33 -0500

Hi Del:

It looks like a very fine orchard!

I suspect the M prunifolia are rootstock that did not take. I think
every grower gets a few of those. It will be fun to see what they do.

I notice that industry standard seedling rootstocks for Z2/3 are M
baccata, M prunifolia, MXRanekta, Antonovka or similar mediocre (fruit
quality) M domestica source.

Fruit breeding is a matter of being attentive and noticing when fate
deals you a royal flush. It seems to me that the odds of dealing a
royal flush would be greatly improved if one did not throw away all the
face cards in the deck. I think it would be far more exciting to fruit
out a September Ruby X Spartan rootstock than Antonovka Open Pollinated.

So the question of the day is: "Which of these selections are likely to
produce seedlings with Z2/3 hardiness, decent fireblight resistance and
a good chance of producing exceptional quality? Better yet, name a
Dream-team.

del stubbs wrote:

> At last! I've had time to dig down and organize my plantings. Thought some
> of you nafexer's might be curious what my Z2/3 experimental plantings are.
> They are in the one to four year old range. All the varieties without number
> of plants listed are singles. Some of the apples I could provide scion wood
> this year for nafexers, but in a year I should be able to provide most.
> If the type comes out scattered on your email screen, my apologies, it did
> on mine also (after spending an hour neatening it up in a database, oh well
> ) Any comments, advice on the choices etc. most welcome.
> We're located 25 miles NW of Bemidji, Minnesota, about 90 miles south of
> Canadian border, stop by if you're ever coming through! Del
>
> APPLES - arlet 2 - beacon - b118 rootstock 4 - carroll - centenial 3
> -
> chestnut - christoferson giant (my name for a local farm tree) - dakota 2 -
> duchess of oldenburg - enigma - gideon 2 -halared 2 - hazen 2 - honey
> crisp
> 5 - honey gold - improved battleford - iowa beauty 2 -
> irish peach -
> lodi 2 -lowland raspberry - malinda 2 - mandan 3 - manitoba spy -
> norda -
> norland - norden - norson - pf5 - pristine 2 - prunifolia
> rootstock 4
> - redwell - regent - sonnyboy - smokehouse - stone 2 - sweet16 3 -
> valantine - september ruby - spartan - unknown apple 3 - westfield
> seek no further - whitney crab sport 3 - wolf river 4 - ( all apples
> are on either B118 or prunifolia)
> APPLE ON HAWTHORN - honey gold 2 - haralson 2 - honey crisp 2 -
>
> APPLE ON AMALANCHIER - honey gold - valantine
>
> PLUM - prunus americana 8 - pembina bud graft 2 - prairie egg plum -
> green gage plum - gracious plum - beach plum (maritima) -
>
> PLUM ON CHOKECHERRY - prunus maritima 4 -
>
> PEAR - cabot - flemish beauty 2 - hudar 2 - luscious - nova 5 - patton -
> pyrus usuriensis 12 -
>
> RIBES - crandall currant - lepaared currant - rovada currant - jonkeer van
> tets currant- white imperial - ben lomond - ben more - ben nevis -
> glencoe - pixwell - jostaberry
>
> VARIOUS - manchurian apricot 2 - moongold apricot 1 - siberian mulberry -
> northern mulberry - high bush cranberry 13 - wentworth h.b.c. - shagbark
> hickory - joy bush cherry - bali cherry - aronia melanocarpa - sea buckthorn
>
> GRAPE - valient 5 - kay gray - swenson red - concord
>
> RUBUS - boyne (new patch) - autumn bliss 4' x 30' - illini hardy (small
> patch) - chester thornless (small patch)

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
> NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel

I fish because I love to;
because I love the environs where trout are found,
which are invariably beautiful
... because trout do not lie or cheat
and cannot be bought or bribed
or impressed by power,