nafex - Re: [nafex] Persimmon recommendations for zone 5

  • From: lee sharp <sharplr@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Persimmon recommendations for zone 5
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 07:52:19 -0700 (PDT)

You should be able to grow the cultivar "Roseyanka" in
zone 5.It is a D. kaki/ D. virginia cross. Jerry
Lehman has success with it at Terre Haute,In.I suggest
you contact him for additional information. I have
been producing it for 2 years and never found a seed
in a fruit but I understand they occasionally do
produce seed.They are shaped like the D.virginia and
most of the crop will have a diameter of 2".My plants
are on local D.virginia rootstock.
You may contact me direct at my address:
sharplr@yahoo.com for additional info.
Lee Sharp
Lower zone 8

--- edforest55@hotmail.com wrote:
> Anyone have any recommendations for persimmon
> varieties in zone 5?
> I assume that I would have to use the D. virginiana
> as a rootstock
> since the lotus one and the kaki are too cold tender
> right?
> Thanks.
> PS I think that the Meader sounded like the best
> choice, no seeds,
> self fertile, productive, annual, with fruit that
> has quality and
> size, that is, if I recall accurately.
> kevin Bradley

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1