nafex - Re: [nafex] Hmm. Kousa fruits. Not bad...

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Hmm. Kousa fruits. Not bad...
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 21:15:08 -0500

Last month, I was at the Univ. of WI in Madison to pick up some purple
carrots and orange-fleshed cucumbers for photography purposes. In the lobby
of the greenhouse complex was a table full of Kousa branches and fruits, all
harvested in the test fields of the University, a couple of miles to the
west. The sign said to help yourself and rate the fruits on a chart. I ate
only two of them. The texture was off-putting and I found the flavor of one
to be like very over-ripe and rotted peaches and the second one to be bland
with little complexity. I didn't pay enough attention to note which
varieties I sampled. By this time I had decided that the C. Kousa was not
something I would plant. I have a C. mas and can hardly wait for it to
fruit--hopefully next season.
Doreen Howard