nafex - Re: [nafex] Grafting/Time to fruiting

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Grafting/Time to fruiting
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:12:01 -0700

It may, but look at varieties like Northern Spy, which takes 10 years or
more to come into bearing on seedling (or standard) rootstock, but as little
as two years on something like the new CG 65. Or Japanese plums, which
might come into bearing in two years (irregardless of rootstock), or
European plums, which can take ten years or more. Maturity of the scion
might make a difference, but in the long run, the rootstock makes a lot more
difference. The one place I know of where maturity of the scion makes a BIG
difference is in pears. Take juvenile wood from a pear and not only can it
take longer to bear, it is likely to have thorns on much of the lower part
of the tree.
Ed Fackler is the guy with more long-term experience in all this, though.