nafex - [nafex] Re: Asian Pears

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Asian Pears
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:47:43 -0000

I've assumed Coddling Moth, but I'm not sure that's correct.

The worm eats much of the core of the pear, leaving large amounts of
frass and the rest of the core area turns brown. Sometimes you can
salvage the very outermost section of the pear. From the outside the
damage is almost invisible (the tiniest of holes usually near the
blossom end). One clue is that the damaged pears will appear to
ripen before the rest and often fall off.

Chris Mauchline
Honey Brook, PA, zone 6b
(Bearing pear trees are in Berks County, zone 6a)

--- In nafex@y..., "Correnti, Andy" <andy.correnti@l...> wrote:
> Chris M
>
> Thanks for all that info on the asian pears - I found it very
useful. Sorry
> you're having problems with your pears. Can't help with the deer
but what
> kind of worm is it - maybe I've seen it here further east...
>
> Andy

Giant,
> > and
> > > Hosui, all growing on Quince rootstock and bearing for the
first
> > time.
> > > There isn't much fruit to experiment with, but one that I
knocked
> > off
> > > accidently and ate had a nice texture and juiciness - the
flavor
> > was a bit
> > > weak and green so I think as of last week they were not ready
yet.

> > > My experience growing these asian pears for 2 yrs has been
> > very
> > > good. The only thing I had to spray for was plum curculio.
> > Interestingly,
> > > the curculio seemed to only do their feeding on the asian
pears.
> > Whereas
> > > they do much more damage on my apples and european pears with
their
> > egg
> > > laying marks.
> > >
> > > So, any insight on the ripening time...?
> > >
> > > Andy Correnti
> > > Collegeville (SE) PA
> > > Zone 6b

> > 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a
posting
> > and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was
large).

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Learn Trading Tips the Professional Traders Use!
Free Newsletter from Optionetics.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/q1ufhB/ZR9CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM