nafex - Re: [nafex] Want to buy sweet acorns

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Want to buy sweet acorns
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 08:36:02 -0500

At 06:53 PM 08/29/2001 -0400, Joe wrote:
>I am in the market for approximately 100 sweet acorns. I have a slight
>preference for Burr oak and hybrids of Burr oak. I intend to plant them
>in their permanent location. Can anybody in NAFEX land help me out?

Joe,
Depending on how voracious the squirrels are this year, I may be able to
come up with some Bur oak acorns, though the young tree(the only one in
town, other than my young seedlings) probably won't produce anywhere close
to 100 - or, at least, I probably won't be able to beat the squirrels to
that many.

Contact Don Cobb, who's the NNGA Edible Oak committee chairman. Don has or
has access to a wide selection of oaks, including a number of hybrids, and
has made several selections for low-tannin acorns.
I've got grafted specimens of his three Q.bicolor selections, but have not
had success(yet) getting 'takes' of his bur & white oak selections.
Donald G. Cobb, 625 W. River Rd., Waterloo, NY 13165, 315-789-3701. You
can get an email message to Don via his wife Ann: acc3@nysaes.cornell.edu

If you aren't on the mailing list for Ken Asmus' OIKOS Tree Crops, email
Ken (oak24@aol.com) for a copy of the catalog. Ken is the NAFEX Oaks
consultant.

Another good source for acorns is Guy Sternberg's Starhill Forest Arboretum
in Petersburg IL - you're too late to place an order this year, as he has a
cut-off of 15 Aug, but you could email for a species list at:
strhlfrst@aol.com
While you're at it, visit the International Oak Society website:
http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rjensen/ios.html

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY