nafex - [nafex] Baba Raspberries

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Baba Raspberries
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:29:09 -0400

Ginda: I put in 10 Baba plants, spaced at about 2 ft., so the row is
close to 20 ft. long. As vigorously as they have grown and spread, I
could have gotten by with 6 plants. Now that they have spread (actually
under the fence and into the neighbor's yard --- they pick them too),
the row has become 6 ft. wide in places. Too wide. And it won't stay
that wide.
I don't know if you noticed Mn. Del's note with the observation that
Baba tolerates only down to 0 degrees F. That's fine for me here, but
it might not work for you. It is possible that the high productivity of
my patch (wife is still picking over a qt. per day) owes much to ideal
conditions: enriched soil, full sun, and good rainfall this summer. If
you are happy with your Fallreds, I certainly would not, under the
circumstances, suggest replacing them with Baba. But if you can find a
spot and want to experiment, I will certainly have enough plants, and
don't mind a little trouble packing them up and sending them.
Somehow, you need to get enough berries that you can't eat them all
on your way back to the house. Then you can save them up in the freezer
and make some raspberry jam. That is a product that really brings out
the best of the raspberry.

Rgds, Don Yellman Great Falls, VA

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search