nafex - [nafex] Re: feijoa

  • From: Lee Poulsen <wlp@ampersand.jpl.nasa.gov>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: feijoa
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:49:40 -0700

>Having grown up in Florida, I think the watermelon flavored flowers we ate
>on one bush were feijoa flowers, but I have never ever seen a fruit, nor
>know anyone who has. Someone came into the Florida nursery where I was
>working in '89 and said they were from Cal. and they grew grafted feijoas
>there. Apparently they were crazy about them, and were disappointed at the
>Florida nurseries offering only generic bushes. But if NONE of them crop
>anyway, what does it matter? I know they have to have X pollination. They
>seem very mysterious. Donna

I planted a grafted 'Coolidge' variety that I ordered from a nursery
in Calif. about 15 years ago at my parents' house in Austin, Texas,
and after a couple of years it started bearing fruit and has borne
fruit ever since. Although I had seen 2 or 3 seedling bushes growing
around some old buildings in the center of town, I don't believe
there were any in my parents' subdivision after I first planted it.
So I don't think it was being pollinated by anything else. The
'Coolidge' variety is supposed to be self-pollinating. Since my
mother absolutely loves the fruit now, I've since planted a couple
more varieties, about 5 years ago, that are supposed to be the
best-flavored, but are supposed to require cross-pollination. They
seem to handle the occasional winter arctic blast without any
problems that I've seen.

--
--Lee Poulsen
wlp@radar-sci.jpl.nasa.gov