nafex - [nafex] Re: To fill holes in the bark of trees

  • From: "Kieran or Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: To fill holes in the bark of trees
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:29:22 -0500

Helene, Your idea of using clay to fill holes is fascinating. I think you
have found, as you say, potters quality clay, which would be a kaolinite
type. Kaolins do not expand when wet. Since most of us haven't ready
access to just the kind of clay bed you are describing, we could buy the
stuff. Craft stores would sell it.
I think the ideal clay for the purpose, at least for larger holes, would
be a bentonite or montmorillonite. It's sold in health food stores by the
ounce or the pound, or in larger quantities (50 lb sacks) for stopping leaks
in ponds. I am told it comes sandwiched between layers or cardboard for
waterproofing foundations and basements. The peculiar action of these
special clays is that they DO expand when wet, forming a sort of surface
"jell" that prevents any more water getting in. These clays have a
reputation for healing wounds on people, so they would probably reduce
rotting in trees. They would have to be packed in dry though, or only very
slightly damp. Best to experiment a little first, as they'd be harder to
handle than kaolins. Donna

>>There was a discussion, not too long ago on interesting materials to fill
holes on fruit trees.
Yesterday, I got some hard clay, potter's quality, which is to be found on
the bed at the bottom of a stream nearby. You can collect it in slabs and it
seems almost entirely free of organic matters. It can be broken in pieces
that you can work by applying pressure and a sliding motion of the thumb to
fill bad holes, crevasses and unsightly damages to trees.
Once dried, the grains are extremely fine, dust in fact, and the filling
appear to stick very well in place. It also absorbs moisture readily so I
imagine it will never get completely solid, nor crack, and it can reshape
itself to accomodate the growth of the tree.
It seems to work very nicely.
Hélène, zone 3