nafex - [nafex] Re:Strawberries,bales, wild,blackberries

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re:Strawberries,bales, wild,blackberries
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:28:44 -0000

Tom, I'm intrigued with this idea(below) for "raised bed" strawberries.
There are lots of round bales cut here (our dairy farmer neighbor cuts about
60 4' by 5' bales off our south field each summer). But I'm thinking of
getting one of the abandoned one or two year old bales loaded up and dropped
off, if it will hold together. Might have to wire it up first. Plastic wrap
isnt used here, but I would think one would want the rain on it anyway,
unless one lives in a dry climate.
One problem, the berries would have to be renamed 'hayberies'.

Wild strawberries. Last year for an experiment I tansplanted some of our
abundant wild strawberries into our rich garden soil, yesterday I picked the
first batch, what an explosion of flavor! They were at least 50% bigger than
the field ones.
If I recall corectly, in strawberries the flavor capsules are a finite
number and size, so 2" strawberries have the same actual quantity of flavor
as a wild 1/2" one, just diluted. Any corroboration on this? If correct, is
it true of other berries as well?

Wild blackberries. Nearby is a patch in the exact opposite enviroment
as our garden (sandy, acid, shaded). They are sparse and tiny. So last
spring I transplanted a half dozen into our rich sunny garden soil just to
see. The plants are not vigorous and still look yellowy. One has just set a
very heavy bloom. I'm encouraged. All my efforts with Illini hardy and a
thornless are proving not very doable here in zone 2/3. May have a dozen
each of plants to get rid of come dormancy. Mn. Del