nafex - Strawberries - Re: [nafex] How does my garden grow

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Strawberries - Re: [nafex] How does my garden grow
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:05:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

On one of my other lists they were chatting about growing potatoes in hay
bales, the discussion wandered, and we came up with a strawberry
experiment that needs to be tried.

Collect and old, large, round bale of hay, and push it over on it's side.
Dig some holes into the sides ant top of it, add some soil, and plant
strawberries into the sides, and top of the bale. It should look like a
huge mound of plants when done.

Keep the plants high enough off the ground to discourage pests. To reduce
the amount of water needed, start with a bale that is wrapped in plastic.

You could plant 5 to 6 as many plants in the the same garden space. Get
the crop off the ground, and never have to bend over to pick a berry. It
would also be easier to net a single "bale mound" of strawberries than
ground rows.

This is all hypothetical to this point, as no one has tried it yet (at
least I have not heard of it done before).

Just a thought.

Regards,
Tom

--