nafex - Re: [nafex] Hawthorn for Pear roostock

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Hawthorn for Pear roostock
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:38:15 -0000

Claude said:
>This surely is a point. I would also add that there are dozens of hawthorn
>species and maybe only some of them will be compatible for pear rootstock.
>One other problem is that it is very difficult to identify hawthorn
>species.

I'm having so much trouble with fireblight on my ussuriensis rootstock that
I am seriously persuing the hawthorn avenue. Will seek old home as
interstem...has anyone bud grafted it to hawthorn?

On the hawthorn variety subject....we have hundreds of wild hawthorns, some
are tree size, and just today one started blooming - but its neighbor has
long finished its bloom. Would an early or late bloomer be preferred
rootstock?