nafex - Re: [nafex] Serviceberry

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Serviceberry
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:58:19 -0500

At 04:32 PM 05/30/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Lucky,
>I haven't had much luck with serviceberries - problems with rust.
>Does Allegheny have any major disease problems?

I've not seen any rust infection on these two big A.laevis at the library
in town, and I've been eating berries off of them for the past 3 years.
I've got about a dozen A.alnifolia varieties growing at the house - so far,
no problems with them or the A.lamarckii and A.obovata selections.

When we took the kids to Holiday World, at Santa Claus, IN last year, they
had "Autumn Brilliance", an A.Xgrandiflora selection, planted all over the
place, and the bushes had lots of heavily rust-infected fruit on them.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY