nafex - Re: [nafex] parafilm results

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] parafilm results
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:46:37 +0000

Mark,
I totally agree with Gordon. But I also wonder why you would have such a low
percentage of takes - if there is not something else that is not quite right.
(Since I am very happy and successful wrapping with surveyor's tape, I have
to admit that I haven't taken the time to read all the memos on parafilm. Do
I understand correctly that it is a clear plastic like Saran wrap or
heavier?) If this is so then there probably isn't too much difference as far
as that goes.
What if you would have someone work with you to see if you are matching up
your cambium layers and not displacing them when you wrap? Even someone who
is not a grafter may have a way of seeing this better for you. You can
practice on other similar wood like willow or prunings if you are out of
rootstocks and scions.
Also, how long are your scions? Have you kept them refrigerated? If they are
not the same size as your stock, are you offsetting them to get one side to
match?
Maybe later this year you could try budding. For two years I had periodic eye
surgery and did budding instead of whip & tongue since perfect vision and
depth perception are not critical for successful budding. You can still bud
onto the stocks that did not take this spring.
Hopefully, Gordon's suggestions will see most of your grafts take off. Good
luck! ...........vic