nafex - Re: [nafex] cortland

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] cortland
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 17:47:54 -0700

"H.Dessureault" wrote:

> Don,I have a Cortland which produces apples that are quite good, and
> what is special about Cortland is that the flesh does not turn brown
> when exposed to air. What I don't like about Cortland is that it is
> not disease resistant. Consequently, I have had to struggle with crown
> rot amongst other problems which is slowly getting the best of my
> tree. The Cortland will bloom again this year (yes, apple trees have
> not bloomed here, yet), but I can see the time soon when I will decide
> to cut it; that tree is damaged beyond repair.I have grafted a couple
> of other Cortland trees that are coming along. I can't resist, the
> Cortlands ARE so good.As Derry mentions, the flowers are on short
> branches growing all along the main branches and the tendancy in
> pruning would be to remove some if there are too many but not to
> shortened them (which would cause those branches to grow instead of
> producing fruits).If you prune the tree a lot maybe you are keeping it
> growing branches instead of producing fruits. Have you tried weighing
> down branches (like suckers if they are not completely vertical)
> instead of cutting them? This speeds the tree to set flowers and slows
> down the growth. Sometime, I even attach branches (curled downward
> towards the trunk) for a season.Here, Cortland is growing
> commercially, along with MacIntosh, and chemicals are being used. It
> is challenging to grow this apple without chemicals especially in a
> warm climate.In my cold climate, Cortland are generally picked second
> week of September. It is not an early apple like Melba or YT.Good
> luck,Hélène, zone 3. ----- Original Message -----

I have what is called Early Cortland and it is a very good apple, too.
It bears on spurs and is not a tip bearer for me.
Sam

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM