nafex - Re: [nafex] Hall's Hardy almond

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Hall's Hardy almond
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 06:18:05 -0700

You aren't missing out on anything. "Hall's Hardy" is a peach-almond hybrid
and the "nuts" are more like peach pits with larger kernals than usual. The
kernals are bitter, too. I had one for years and got tired of it. It's
graft compatible with peaches though.
Pistachios need DRY conditions and zone 8 or warmer to bear. Not to
mention a male tree for pollination. Here in Oregon, for instance, they
almost don't grow at all because the wet spring weather gives them disease.
By the time things warm up and dry out enough to suit them, the season is
over. I've seen ten year old trees that weren't even 6 feet tall.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

Join the Garden Writers List
To subscribe, send a blank message to: Gardenwriters-subscribe@topica.com