nafex - Re: [nafex] Lodi vs. Yellow Transp.

  • From: "JERROLD KOERNER" <j.f.koerner@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com, nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Lodi vs. Yellow Transp.
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:24:45 -0800

Tom, We grow Melba here in Ketchikan, Alaska and we like it very much. As
far as the Y.T vs. Lodi goes we grow both and they are very similar in
flavor but the Lodi is much bigger in size. But I will have to agree with
Lucky that the Pristine out scores them all. Jerry Appleseed

----------
>From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Lodi vs. Yellow Transp.
>Date: Fri, Apr 27, 2001, 4:40 PM
>

> Hi,
>
> Nobody likes Melba?
>
> =====
> Geneva Description; Melba
> Comments:: Size medium 57-63;44-51mm; shape flat to intermediate,
> rectangular
> to truncate-conic, convex, ribbed on body and at eye; skin pale yellow with
pinkish
> stripes and flecks; white bloom; flesh firm, crisp, very white; flavour
> subacid, sweet
> season early. "Tender, but good breeder", Coutts (1991). Shelf life short.
> ====
>
> The only real drawback is that you are swimming in Yellow Transparent when
> Melba is ready, and when they are ready, they are READY.
>
> Tom
>
> Sam Franc wrote:
>
>> Don Yellman wrote:
>>
>> > Helene:
>> > I have not grown Lodi, but some of my relatives out in Iowa have
>> > one, and it appears to be identical in character and appearance to my
>> > Yellow Transparent. Most nursery info describes Lodi as an "improved"
>> >
>> > Yellow Transparent, although I have never been clear on wherein the
>> > improvement lies. It may be that it has the potential to be slightly
>> > larger, although thinning can produce quite a large Y.T. as well.
>> > Mine
>> > grow so fast that they often crack as they approach the yellow stage,
>> > and have to be removed immediately. I once read about the cross that
>> > produced Lodi, and I think your info is correct that it was
>> > Montgomery,
>> > whatever that is.
>> > I do have another Y.T. cross: Early Cortland, which is Y.T. x
>> > Cortland, but the appearance is quite different than Y.T. in that it
>> > is
>> > a red apple, and ripens just a few days later than Y.T.. I think it
>> > is
>> > also slightly more durable off the tree than Y.T.. Unfortunately, my
>> > Early Cortland tree, although large and mature, has never had enough
>> > blossoms to set a decent crop of fruit in spite of my best efforts to
>> > prune and shape it into submission. The same thing is happening again
>> >
>> > this spring. I can see fewer than a dozen blossom clusters up there.
>> > The tree is over 10 years old, and I still don't have enough fruit to
>> > even make a judgment on it.
>>
>> Early Cortland is not an aggressive tree here on the Oreogon Coast, but
>> it is a good tasteing apple. It rates on the low side in compartive
>> taste tests but still gets a 6.5 out of 10. Earlier in the season it
>> rates higher.
>> Akane is more prolific here for an early apple.
>> Neither Lodi nor Y.T. get high ratings here.
>> They do turn to mush easily for applesauce though.
>> My wife much prefers a tastier apple for her sauce.
> [...]

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM