nafex - Re: [nafex] grape pruning

  • From: "H.Dessureault" <inter.verbis@atreide.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] grape pruning
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 17:44:10 -0400

Last year, in town (zone 5) I noticed a grape vine growing on a metal structure covering a roof like structure over a patio, that must have been 16X16. There were grapes clusters hanging from this vegetation roof at regular intervals. Quite a sight!The grapes were big and had a reddish blush, slowly turning red (August). A masterpiece of pruning and know how. The grape variety is unknown.

As the world belongs to those who seek, I was standing at the closed entrance of the patio peeking over the fence, when an older gentleman came out of the house.
I explained my interest. He had trouble resisting the temptation of showing off his vine, of course. So he invited me on the patio and explained me how he had trained it. Now, he spoke mainly Portugese so it was a bit difficult, but manageable, particularly that we had the example at hand.

The whole area was covered by one single grape vine, the trunk of which was about five inches in diameter. Ten years of growth, he said, and obviously a lot of work for the training as the branches were attached everywhere to the structure.

His method was that he chose two branches which he attached on temporary post to grow upward the first year so as to reach the structure above our head (You need not only a structure [which you have] but a structure plan for the vine). After the first growing season he had pruned back those branches to two buds of new growth. That made four branches of new growth, the next year. During the next growing season, you attach the four branches where you want them to go on your structure and eliminate the growth of other branches that are undesired as they appear if you wish or when you do your major pruning. The next winter, you prune back the selected branches to two buds of new growth which will probably grow branches with some flowers and hopefully grapes. If not, then the following year for sure. By then the trellis, that I imagine you have, is covered with wood that will grow lots of shoots in every directions every year that you will have a lots of fun to keep under control. Grapes grow more aggressively than roses.

I have seen Canadice in zone 4, but in your area, it should be ideal. There is a wine maker near State College in Pennsylvania who has some Canadice as part of his vineyard, as I remember. I think he mixes his grapes to make wine. He wins prizes every year with his white wines annd the year that I visited he had just started a red wine which he had called "Tail Gate Red". The perfect red wine for picnics!

Good luck!
Hélène