nafex - Re: [nafex] feijoas, mice, and cayenne

  • From: "H.Dessureault" <inter.verbis@atreide.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] feijoas, mice, and cayenne
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 22:49:14 -0400

Hi Del:
Sorry to hear about your mole problem.
Once they have eaten the bark, mice and moles usually loose interest. They don't seem to like wood. The bark and the soft tissues underneath is what they are after. If the wood is completely stripped then there is only so much that can be done with paint. Bridges (which were discussed recently on this forum works).
The best solution I have ever found is cats.
I have tried different solutions, and always they climb over or under obstacles, plastic tubing, white plastic swirl, paints and what not. When desperate enough they even eat through substances which they are not suppose to like. This is the worst time of the year in cold regions. They are starving after the long winter.
Since I have cats, I don't have to worry about any kind of protection whatesover.
The cats don't eat moles, but they kill them. They eat the mice of course.
I prefer to give a bit of food and a shelter outdoors to a few cats than to get out the paraphernalia of screens (old window screen) and paints every Fall only to have to remove them in the Spring.
Good luck!
Hélène
Zone 3