nafex - Re: [nafex] Elstar, etc.

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Elstar, etc.
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:25:18 -0800

Lon,

Elstar is an excellent apple ... good sharp-sweet flavour, excellent for fresh
eating and for cooking (stays white), BUT it is very susceptible to
anthracnose
canker. Many orchardists in the Fraser Valley have dug and burned their
Elstars
despite the market for them because they are so vulnerable to canker and they
are
a great source of the infection while they are dying. Also, it sunscalds when
weather gets too hot.

I don't know about Pixy, but I think the other four are grown by one or more
of
the BC Fruit Testers.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

: This is a cross posting from an organic gardening list in the UK. I was
: just wondering if anyone in the U.S. has experience with the varieties and
: could comment on these.
: -Lon Rombough
: ----------
: We have many apple varieties and our favourites are:
:
: St Edmund Russett
: Pixie
: Elstar
: Greensleeves
: Katy
:
: Elstar is our newest purchase and it is utterly delicious. Katy is 100%
: reliable. St Edmund the best of the russetts
: in our opinion, Pixie a good keeper and Greensleeves tart and juicy.
: I don't know if any of them are local to you, however.
:
: Julia
: in N.Cheshire

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM