nafex - Re: [nafex] Sterilizing scions

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Sterilizing scions
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 08:12:07 -0800

Ironically, if you remove ALL the virus, it can also cause problems. When
M9 rootstock was completely cleaned up, it was more vigorous than the
original type and was more like a semi-dwarf stock than a dwarf stock.
Also, in many cases, fruits are more productive if they have some virus -
get them all cleaned up and they grow like mad but don't fruit as much.
Apparently some virus stresses the plant just enough to stimulate it to
bearing.
In Canada, they discount viruses if there is no measurable effect from them
"Fleck" virus in grapevines is one that, at most, causes tiny stippling on
leaves, but doesn't otherwise affect the vine in most cases (I qualify that
in case there is some hypersensitive type I don't know about) Here, a
variety you are importing has to be free of ALL viruses. Considering what
it takes to import a grape variety into this country, it surely smacks of
politics rather than biological need, to have a variety cleaned up of
viruses. The LEAST a private individual can expect to pay is over $2,000
per variety for the required testing, and if it "fails" at any point in the
five to ten year time it takes, you're out of luck and money. What really
irks is that the process is required even with material from countries that
have better virus control than we do. Talk about encouraging smuggling!
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom See new additions to the site, Feb. 2001,
plus word on my grape book.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details