nafex - [nafex] buckthorns

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] buckthorns
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 02:32:23 -0000

Having never seeen a sea buckthorn I typed in buckthorn in a search
engine
to see if it is any relation to common buckthorn.....(The very invasive
Eurasian species Rhamnus Cathartica). Didn't find any connection, other
than the Rhamnus-Rhamnoides coincidence.
In southern Minnesota the DNR is working at eradicating common
buckthorn,
but here in the northern parts it's only an occasional bush/tree. It so
resembles the prunus family to a non-botanist like myself that i have tried
grafting plums onto it without success. Now I guess i know why. Rats,
hoped I might have found a use for the nuisance. However, my wife and I
have named it "Minnesota Rosewood". Its wood can be that startlingly
beautiful.
In this search I found a fine web site from B.C. Canada.....complete
with
pretty photos and lots of info
Mn. Del

<http://hippophae.com>