nafex - [nafex] Wintergreen - methyl salicylate

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Wintergreen - methyl salicylate
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:15:04 -0600

Oil of wintergreen is methyl salicylate - I'm not certain if it's water
soluble, but since it's an 'oil', I suspect not.
It does confer a neat blue-green color to the 'sparks' produced when you
crunch Wint-O-Green LifeSavers between your teeth, with an open mouth in
front of the mirror in the dark - a phenomenon known scientifically as
triboluminescence.

Didja ever go "sparkin'" with your boyfriend/girlfriend?

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups