nafex - Re: [nafex] Deer

  • From: Phil Norris & Deborah Wiggs <COUSINPHIL@ACADIA.NET>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Deer
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:49:17 -0500

>It's my understanding that some backyard gardeners have found that deer are
>reluctant to jump even a five-foot fence if the fence encloses a space within
>which they would feel "confined," i.e., if the enclosed space is "too small."
>Does anybody have experience with this phenomenon? And, if so, what size
>enclosures have been effective?
>
>Jack Fischer
>Oakton, Virginia

Dear Jack,

Here in Maine deer are a big problem statewide but on some of the islands just off the coast gardeners have had to adopt extraordinary measures. On Isle Au Haut, most of which is part of Acadia National Park where hunting is not allowed, the deer run rampant and are not at all afraid of humans. These deer do not hesitate to jump into small enclosures (10 X 10) with eight foot high woven wire fences. Deer are great jumpers. It is generally agreed that a 12 foot fence will usually stop them but even then, occasionally an athletic deer will get over.

I have an eight foot electric fence around my entire orchard here on the mainland which has been 100% effective. I originally put in 12 foot poles in case I needed to go higher but it hasn't proved necessary. I used to build little enclosures around each tree thinking I would save myself some work but those trees always suffered from neglect because I couldn't get at them to feed , prune and weed and check for borers.

Phil Norris East Blue Hill, Maine Zone 4