nafex - Re: [nafex] More Musings on Coldest Nov-Dec on Record

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] More Musings on Coldest Nov-Dec on Record
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 12:06:49 +0000

In northern NH's Zone 3, things progressed normally for a cool summer, i.e.,
Transparent, Paula Red and other apples usually ripe by or before Labor Day
were
ripening after Labor Day, anywhere form two to three weeks later than
normally.
Wild blueberries went on from late July 'til frost. The fall foliage of native
trees was not as early as I've noticed on other occasions of a cool summer,
but
it came on suddenly and was over quickly. I noticed more the wet weather as it
affects my horse business so directly.
For about five years I wrote down the low temp. everyday from first frost to
spring. I did not do this in '99/'00 or '00/'01. It is normal here on river
bottom land to have -45F at least once per winter. In '96 we had -47F one
morning and it went up to 45F the following evening! Imagine a variation of
that
extreme in the summer! So far this year, as it said in the article, NH has not
been typical. We've had our share of cold, but have not experienced any real
extremes (-16F lowest so far). This happened in '97/'98 when our low for the
winter was only -20F once, on Jan. 1, '98. It feels strange to be in a
comparatively mild area for a change this year. I can relate to what everyone
else is going through except that when you have those temps normally, you are
prepared for it and I'm afraid most areas had no way of expecting this cold
winter when the flap has been all about global warming.
About your tea roses though Doreen, my condolences, unless you found a way to
winter them in a root cellar or other safe place. They were my very favorite
garden project until I moved north. I have never been really successful in the
many ways I have tried to save them from one season to another. We have a rose
that does well in this area that is not a native nor is it a rugosa or
everblooming type.
I think it's great that you are so observant about your environment and
climate.
If you get bummed out with the long winter, I have lots of helpful ideas to
help
get through 'til spring....vic