nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple Rootstocks for Extreme Cold

  • From: jim <jmc1@epix.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple Rootstocks for Extreme Cold
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 22:21:02 +0000

The Polish apple rootstocks were bred and selected specifically for winter hardiness in the context of central Poland.  Most are Malling 9 x Common Antonovka.  P.18 is Malling 4 x Common Antonovka.  In the early orchard testing phase, they went through one classic test winter and some other good challenges. From the  total population, P.2, P.14, P.18 and P.22 were selected for having good orchard characteristics plus mid-winter hardiness similar to that of Common Antonovka.  (Winter hardiness of P.16 is about the same as Malling 9.)  P.2 does have an additional attribute that can be handy -- it has prolonged dormancy,slightly longer than Malling 26.  This doesn't mean delayed bloom of the scion variety, but just that with P.2 we won't see premature activity of the rootstock just below the graft union in response to February hot spell.  This was the #1 shortcoming of Robusta 5.

Bottom line:  Gord, if Antonovka is sufficiently hardy for you, then P.2 and P.14 are worth trying.  We've been disappointed in low productivity of P.18.  If you can find it,  by all means try Ottawa 8 -- but I don't know a source.

//Jim
www.cumminsnursery.com

Gord Hawkes wrote:

Seasons Greetings all!  Couple questions regarding the hardiness of
rootstock.  Our orchard is situated just south of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
during the winter of 93/94 we sustained temperatures colder than -30C for
upwards of two weeks.  I believe the average temperature for January and
February was in the neighborhood of -22C.  Our orchard lost over 1,000 trees
which were on M26 rootstock - however it was not the rootstock but rather
the cultivar that was seemingly affected (Spartan, Empire, Vista Bella,
Jersey Macs).  McIntosh, Cortland, Paulareds and Lobos also on M26 faired
well.  We have since planted 350 trees on Ottawa 3 (dwarfing rootstock) and
Beautiful Arcade (Russian seedling semi-standard) - we have not however had
a repeat winter.  We are hopeful that they will be able to sustain most
anything mother nature can throw at them.

Questions

Were the cultivars on the Antonovka the same as on the Ranetka?

Another rootstock that I am interested in is the Bud 9 (Budagovski), a
dwarfing rootstock which appears to show promise for hardiness and dwarfing
size.  Has anyone had experience with Bud 9 with cultivars suitable to zone
5?

Has anyone had experience with the P (Polish - cross between Malling and
Antonovka) series of rootstock?

Is Ranetka a standard rootstock?

Best regards and may your holiday season be joyous!

Gord Hawkes
Log Cabin Orchard
Osgoode, Ontario
Canada, Eh?