nafex - Re: [nafex] winterkill

  • From: Claude Sweet <sweetent@home.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] winterkill
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:22:52 -0800

"Robert L. Thomasson" wrote:

> I have several internet friends who firmly believe that Wiltpruf does
> indeed help a plant through cold weather, since cold and dry
> dehydrating
> wind frequently coincide. In their opinion, many times winter damage
> is
> attributed to cold, when it is really caused by dehydration. In any
> case,
> based on their experience, the Wiltpruf stuff is effective, and many
> fig
> varieties survive prolonged temperatures below 20 degrees F.
>
> Bob

Your comments would confirm my observations about Wiltpruf helping
prevent tissue dehydration.

Cold, dry air that moves over plant or animal tissue will result in
serious dehydration. I believe this is measured as the wind chill factor
quoted by weather forecasters.

I would be interested in hearing more about fig cultivars that survive
prolonged exposure to temperatures. Can you direct me to research
reports/published articles?

Claude Sweet

Click here for more details:
http://click.egroups.com/1/10801/0/_/423498/_/977351146/