nafex - [nafex] New member

  • From: orchardist@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] New member
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:18:34 -0000

Hello folks,

I signed on to this site about a week ago. I have enjoyed
reading the sites letters. I am always open for new ideas. I was a
signed up member of NAFEX for about six years. I found this sight
from an e-group friend in Oregon. Thanks Sam.
I'm what you might call a Backyard Orchardist. I live in Washington
State in the Puget Sound area. I `ve been growing apple and pears
for about 16 years. I grow only espalier or trellis trained trees.
I have started most of my trees by either budding or grafting them
myself. Once in a while I'll purchase some of the newer varieties
from catalogs.
We do have a problem with apple maggot and coddling moth here
in the Puget Sound. Spraying and hanging traps is a must if you want
clean fruit. Since my trees are so short (< 6'), spraying and
inspecting for other critters is easy to do.
When I first started growing fruit trees, I started most of
them by grafting and budding them myself. The older varieties of
apples and pears were easy to obtain for the grafting. About 12-14
years ago there were at least six nurseries that sold the scion
wood. Now there is only a few growers left that will sell scion
wood. If I were 40 years old again I would send for more scion
wood. Soon to retire, I'd rather just buy a few trees that are
already a couple years old. I already have to many trees.
I enjoy the time that I spend training my trees. It relaxes me after
a day at the office.
I make good use of my apples by making cider, pies, sauce,
and drying. I make my cider with my home built cider press.
Thanks for allowing me to sign up to this site.

Mike

A Back Yard Orchardist

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/423498/_/975122315/

  • [nafex] New member, orchardist, 11/24/2000