nafex - [nafex] FW: Old Peaches?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: Eunice Messner <eunicemessner@yahoo.com>
  • Cc: NAFEX List <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] FW: Old Peaches?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 08:32:53 -0800

Title: FW: Old Peaches?
  Clive Simms is a nurseryman friend in England who sent the following.  Does anyone know where to find these peaches?
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

----------
From: "Clive Simms" <clive_simms@lineone.net>
To: "Lon J Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
Subject: Old Peaches?
Date: Fri, Nov 24, 2000, 6:16 AM

Lon,

I've just had a call from an old National Trust garden nearby that are trying to locate some very old peach cultivars so they can re-plant the gardens as they were in 1789. A couple of them are still around over here but most have gone the way of the Dodo I fear. However, I just wonder if some enterprising settlers took them to the New World of America? Can you try locate any of the following (problems about how to get them to the UK come later). The cvs. are:-

BROWN NUTMEG
NEWINGTON
OLD NEWINGTON
NOBLEFO (?) Possibly NOBLESSE ?
CATHERINE
LATE ADMIRABLE
BELLE DE VITREE

I'll try the NCGR Davis website tonight but I doubt if they'll have anything this old. I'm hoping you know a few heirloom nurseries or peach collectors that may be able to help.

Best wishes,
Clive

eGroups Sponsor
click here

  • [nafex] FW: Old Peaches?, Lon J. Rombough, 11/24/2000