nafex - [nafex] membership rosters and privacy

  • From: "Nell Lancaster" <nlancaster@rockbridge.net>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] membership rosters and privacy
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:32:07 -0500

Hi all,

I have to disagree with the fluffy privacy advocate a bit. Membership
rosters are very handy items for an enthusiasts' group, and a nice
membership benefit. It's perfectly possible to publish a roster *and
respect the desire of members for privacy.

The American Hemerocallis Society (daylily people), has almost ten thousand
members. They publish a roster every two years. On the membership renewal
form, there's a checkbox to mark if you want to be left out of the roster.

Likewise, members can ask that their names not be included when mailing
labels are sold -- though in practice, the labels are sold only to daylily
growers and daylily-related businesses, most of whom are members of the AHS
to begin with. (Maybe daylily people are less sensitive to postal
intrusions -- I've never heard of one being upset about getting an
unsolicited daylily catalog in the mail.) I've been a member of NAFEX for
five years, and can recall very few catalogs or flyers that have arrived
via NAFEX list-selling; the ones that did were fruit-related and I was
happy to see them.

The daylily society also has an email discussion group open only to AHS
members, like this one only larger (1000 members now). It's possible for
anyone on that group to "harvest" emails and send out email advertising,
but it doesn't ever happen. Why? Two reasons: 1) because they'd be kicked
off the list (clearly stated as one of the rules of the email group when
people join), and 2) they have an alternative to spam: a weekly e-mail
'bulletin board' that handles commercial postings and keeps them off the
main discussion. The person who sends out the bulletin board uses blind
carbon copy (BCC) addresses to do so, and anyone can be taken off the BCC
list just by asking.

Dr. Parmar is a member of NAFEX, or he wouldn't be a member of this
discussion group, yes?. Those of you who have received unsolicited mails, e-
and postal, and are upset by them, should communicate directly and
privately with Greg Miller <gsmiller@cet.com>, the manager of this list,
and with whichever NAFEX office-holder you think is appropriate.

Nell

Nell Lancaster <nlancaster@rockbridge.net>
Lexington, VA, where there's still ice in the stock tanks at noon...

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/974824643/