nafex - Re: [nafex] persimmon- Dios. Virg

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com, helbert@idirect.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] persimmon- Dios. Virg
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 09:02:31 -0500

At 02:46 PM 10/02/2000 -0400, Bert Dunn wrote:
Hello all
Has anyone a recipe for persimmon jam ?
Was it good?
Would you please send me the recipe by e-mail to our address  helbert@idirect.com  ?
Thanks             Bert

Jeannie & Berry Lane have some good persimmon(and pawpaw) recipes at their native plants website:

http://members.aol.com/blaneky/

The family and I went out walking the creeks this weekend in search of pawpaw fruit - only came back with a half dozen or so (but several hundred chigger bites).
While dropping my eldest son off to ride horses with a friend, I visited a productive grove of pawpaws on the other folks' property - rotten fruit all over the ground - looks like they'd been ripe a couple of weeks earlier than the ones around my place,  just a mile or so away, as the crow flies.  I was puzzled by the large amount of rotten fruit on the ground - I almost never find any, or maybe just the seeds, remaining after various critters have eaten the pulp.

Persimmons are beginning to ripen here - I came across one on the roadside that was ripening fruits the first week of September, and another little roadside tree I noticed last year produces mostly seedless fruits - an occasional fruit has one seed, but most have none.  It's virtually seedless again this year, and the fruits are larger than last year, I'm presuming due to higher(but not much higher) rainfall levels as opposed to last year.
The heavy producers I usually gather from are still at least a couple of weeks away from being ripe.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY